A Little About Me

I am a Secondary Science Education major at the University of South Alabama. I also have a degree in Zoology from Auburn University.

Why I want to Teach

I realized I wanted to be a teacher when I went to Ukraine for Spring Break in 2008 to help teach English as a Second Language (ESL) to University students. I really enjoyed getting to interact with the students. However, my favorite part was getting to see the look on their faces when they finally understood something. It was like seeing the light bulb come on! I loved getting to show someone something new and joy when they understood. I also found that I was good at working with students.

During my last semester at Auburn University I realized I wanted to become a teacher. So I went ahead and graduated with a degree in Zoology, which worked out great considering what I wanted to teach was science. I love science and the hands on activities that come along with it. It is a subject that surrounds us in everyday life and is relatable to students’ lives.

I am getting a degree in Secondary Science Education so that I can teach 7-12 grade sciences. I would ideally like to teach middle school. I feel that at middle school age, students are still very impressionable. They can still learn to love school with the help of the right teachers. I want my students to see the importance of science and appreciate it. I also want to them to see how much fun science can be through experiments and hands on activities.